Ultra Energy Bars
The recipe is taken from Rich Roll‘s book Finding Ultra (must read). It’s power-packed with healthy ingredients like nuts, seeds, coconut, and dried berries. Those energy boosters boast a plentitude of protein, healthy fats, and fibre that will keep your engine raving all day along.
(150g) 1 cup raw almonds or walnuts, soaked overnight in filtered water
(30g) 1/4 cup cacao nibs
(30g) 1/4 cup hemp seeds, or more as desired
(25g) 1/4 cup dried goji berries
(16g) 2tbsp cacao powder
(20g) 1/4 cup shredded coconut, or more as desired
Pinch of coarse-grain Celtic sea salt
7 or 8 pitted dates, soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes
- Place the nuts in the food processor and pulse until mealy in texture.
- Add the cacao nibs, hemp seeds, goji berries, cacao powder, coconut, and salt, then pulse again until well incorporated.
- With the motor running, add 1 date at a time. After 7 dates, you will see the mixture ball up on one side of the blender bowl. Push the mixture down and process again to make sure all dates are mixed in.
- On a large piece of parchment paper, press the mixture in an even layer about 1/4 inch thick. With a knife, score rectangular pieces approximately 2 by 3 inches. If desired, press additional hemp seeds or coconut on the surface of the bars.
- Fold up the parchment paper to encase the bars and place in the fridge to chill and firm up.
- Break apart and take individual bars with you on a trail run, hike, or bike ride to sustain you throughout your training session. Keep up to a week – if they last.